Some of the conditions we commonly test for include:
“My hand/foot is numb/weak…”
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Ulnar neuropathy at the elbow or wrist
- Other Nerves
“My toes are numb…”
- Axonal loss
- Axonal loss and demyelination
“It’s hard to get out of a chair…”
- Neuromuscular disorders
Did You Know?
You may have referred to us in the past to test for these common conditions (as listed above); however, it is important to know that these are not the only conditions that we are able to assist in the diagnosis of including:
- Diabetes: Neuropathies can often occur before the patient is even diagnosed with diabetes.
- Cancer: Chemotherapy can damage the peripheral nerves and cause neuropathies. NCS performed both pre and post-chemo can help to determine what damage has been caused and appropriate treatment plans can then be put in place.
- Vitamin B12 deficiencies
- Renal Failure: When metabolites are not removed from the blood, this can cause toxicity to the nerves, which can result in neuropathies.
- Liver damage
- Metabolic disorders: Conditions such as hypothyroidism can cause neuropathies.
NOTE: Many conditions such as diabetes, cancer, renal failure, liver damage and metabolic disorders benefit from repeat testing, as NCS findings are reproducible and can be used to analyse nerve function over time.